Register to vote
You cannot vote unless your name is on the Register of Electors. If you move house or if your name or other details change, you must tell us about this.
Annual Register of Electors Canvass
Every year, we are required to email/write to each household to confirm that the information we have on the electoral register is correct.
By responding promptly to the email you receive, you are helping save your Council money, as we have to print and post this to you, where no response is received. You will need to enter the two security codes provided on your email/letter and follow the instructions on screen to complete your response before 29/08/2023
If you do not feel safe following link directly from email please use following link - www.elecreg.co.uk/powys-e and use the security codes provided in the email.
How do I register?
From the 10 June 2014, all new registration applications must be done individually.
Each applicant will be asked to give their:
- Address and previous address
- Date of birth, and
- National insurance number
Each applicant's details will be checked against other records to verity their identity before the registration officer can approve the application.
If a person's name, date of birth and national insurance number are not verified, the electoral registration office will contact them:
- either to clarify any element of their application
- or to ask the applicant to provide documentary evidence, such as a passport, to support their application.
Why should I register?
- The law says that you must provide information to the Electoral Registration Officer to ensure that you are registered.
- You have to register every year. If you don't return the form you could be fined £1000.
- You cannot vote unless your name is on the register.
- Credit reference agencies use the register. If you're not registered you may have problems getting credit, loan or mortgage approval or opening a bank account.
Who can register?
You can be registered if you:
- live in Powys
- are 16 years old or over and
- a British citizen
- an Irish, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizen. Qualifying Commonwealth citizens are those who have leave to enter or remain in the UK, or do not require such leave.
If you prefer to complete a paper application, please contact the registration office.