Toggle mobile menu visibility

View full notice

Notice: Cost of Living Support Scheme

Council Tax: Reviews

Empty / Second Home Review

Powys Council is reviewing homes that may be Long Term Empty or Second Homes

Long-term empty dwellings is a dwelling which has been both unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for a continuous period of at least one year

A second home is a periodically occupied dwelling which is not a person's sole or main home and is substantially furnished

You can find out more about these properties by going to this page.

Review your details

We have asked you to complete a review form to review your property

Complete your Long Term Empty or Second Homes Review online here

Once you complete and submit the form we will be in contact with you if we need any further information or we need to adjust your account or bill


Single Person Discount Review

We are continuing to review discounts which will help identify fraudulent claims among council tax payers who are attempting to cheat the system.

Each year local authorities nationwide receive a high volume of applications for single person's discount. Sadly some of these applications are not genuine and just like benefit cheats these people are claiming reductions in their bills falsely.

Legislation exists which allows council tax cheats to be prosecuted in the same way that benefit cheats are; through the court system and made to pay back the money they owe.

Checks are made to ensure everyone who claims the discount is genuine. However, occasionally circumstances may not be so easy to explain. To help in these situations we have included the most frequently asked questions that can arise throughout this review period.

Review your details

You will be asked to log in using your unique PIN (you can find this PIN on the letter we have sent to you). You will also need your council tax account number and your postcode.

Further information 

If you have questions about your PIN or your account number, please see the 'what to do if...' section on this page.

If you have any other questions, please see our Single Person's Discount frequently asked questions (FAQs)


What to do if...

You have not received a letter

If you have not received a letter yet, please do not worry. This review is an ongoing exercise. To help manage our resources and workloads we will be writing to people separately over an extended period of time. Splitting the mailings in this way will enable us to give our residents a higher quality of service.

If your circumstances have recently changed and you have not received a letter, please let us know using our change of circumstances page.

You've lost your letter and don't know your PIN

Please phone 01597 729052 where you can request another letter to be sent out to you.

You have a PIN but it doesn't work

If your PIN doesn't appear to be working please ensure you are entering your login information as shown on the letter. If it still doesn't work please phone 01597 729052, alternatively please complete the form on the reverse of the letter.

You don't know your account reference number

Your account reference number is your Council Tax account number and it is printed at the top of the letter you received.

You don't have an account reference number

If you are the Council Tax account holder you will have an account reference number, if you are unsure what yours is then please contact


More Frequently Asked Questions here