Winter Fuel Support Scheme
In order to assist working age households on low incomes, Welsh Government has introduced a Winter Fuel Support Scheme for 2021.
Welsh Government have announced an increase to the Winter Fuel Payment to £200. You also have longer to claim the grant too.
If we have paid you a grant for £100 please DO NOT APPLY AGAIN.
You do not need to contact us. We will pay the balance into the bank account that we paid the first grant payment into.
Any households getting a low income benefit may be entitled to a one-off payment of £200 from Powys Council to provide some support towards paying fuel bills through the Winter.
You must apply between 13th December 2021 and 28th February 2022. We cannot accept applications after that date
To get this grant you need to show the following:
- Your or your partner must be in receipt of one of the following benefits - Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Related Employment & Support Allowance, Universal Credit, or Working Tax Credits
- You must be getting the benefit at any point in time between 1st December 2021 and 31st January 2022
- You must be paying the energy bills in your home
- The property you claim for must be your sole or primary (main) residence
- You can only claim once for the property
- You must have at least one form of mains (on-grid) fuel supply for gas or electricity to the home
Please note it doesn't matter how you pay your energy bill. The payment will be available to all eligible households regardless of whether they pay for their fuel on a pre-payment meter, by direct debit or by paying a bill quarterly.
If you are successful:
Payments will be made from the end of January 2022 to March 2022
We will contact you by email to let you know a payment is on the way
If you are not successful:
Your application will be refused if you do not meet the eligibility criteria. You cannot appeal or ask for a review of your application. We will let you know why you didn't get the award. We also may be able to help you if information was missing from your application.
How to apply:
During early December, Powys Council will write to everyone we think may be eligible, with details on how to apply.
However we don't know everyone's circumstances so if you haven't received a letter by the 13th December 2021 please apply here anyway.
You will need to have ready the following in your household:
- Your National Insurance Number(s)
- Your Dates of Birth
- Your Council Tax Reduction Scheme Claim reference number (if you receive this)
- Your Council Tax reference number (if you have one)
- Your heating provider name and reference number
- If you don't pay Council Tax at the property and you pay for your fuel via a bill, a copy of your most recent energy bill to upload (as a PDF document)
- If you don't pay Council Tax at the property AND have a prepayment meter then you will need to send your most recent email confirmation of a recent prepayment top up and a scanned copy or photo of a Pay point receipt/similar of a recent prepayment top up.
Applications for the Winter Fuel Support Scheme 2021 are now closed.
If you need help to apply or support around grant advice or benefit or awards support generally please call us on 01597 826345.
If you pay for off-grid fuel, there is a scheme available for you to apply to via the Discretionary Assistance Fund.
You may still be experiencing severe financial hardship even if you qualify for this grant. If so, you may wish to make a claim to the Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) | GOV.WALES